Difference between revisions of "How to report a bug"
(Created page with "= How To Report a Bug = Thank you for helping us make Diaspora better. :)<br /> If you’ve found an issue with an '''existing feature''' in Diaspora, you can either # repor...")
Revision as of 23:07, 1 October 2012
How To Report a Bug
Thank you for helping us make Diaspora better. :)
If you’ve found an issue with an existing feature in Diaspora, you can either
- report it using Github issues,
- report it in a public post on Diaspora with the #bug tag.
Reporting a Bug on GitHub
- Register for an account on Github, if you don’t already have one.
- Search for similar bugs. Perhaps someone has already reported your issue! If so, please add clarification and/or more information to the existing bug.
- Create a new bug. If you don’t find any similar issues, you can report your bug via the “new issue” tab once you’ve logged in. Please, always include the pod you experienced the bug on and, if necessary, a link to the post that shows the symptoms or a screenshot showing what happened. Don’t be shy and specify as many details as possible -
- what error message did you see,
- did you publish a post publicly/to aspects,
- were images attached to a post,
- what pod is(are) the other user(s) on.
- Monitor your issue and respond to questions. It may be necessary to provide additional information upon request or you might be asked if the bug still occurs after an update.
- Close your bug. In case you notice that the bug doesn’t occur anymore, you can close the issue yourself (don’t forget to add a note saying the issue is resolved).
If you find out your bug is actually a duplicate of another bug and only notice that after you created it, please also close your bug with a short reference to the other issue that was there before.
Reporting security issues
Please don’t use Github issues for suggesting a new feature.
If you have a feature idea, the best place to suggest it is the mailing list. You can also make a public post on Diaspora with the #feature tag.
In case you want to discuss your idea first, before “officially” posting it anywhere, you can always join us on IRC