How we communicate
If you have questions about anything Diaspora-related, the best way to get an answer quickly is to visit us in IRC. An IRC “channel” is roughly equivalent to a chatroom, or a text-based group chat in Skype, or a Campfire room.
It’s fairly low-tech as group communication goes, but since we have contributors all over the world in different time zones and with different levels of internet access, it works well for us.
- #diaspora on irc.freenode.net - for general questions and discussion around Diaspora and help for folks installing it
- #diaspora-dev on irc.freenode.net - discussion of the source code and help for new developer contributors
- #diaspora-de on irc.freenode.net - discussion in German.
- #diaspora-es on irc.freenode.net - discussion in Spanish.
- #diaspora-fr on irc.freenode.net - discussion in French.
Oh and don’t ask if you can ask something, just ask
A mailing list is basically a forum where you can use your email address to create and reply on topics.
You can find our list’s web interfaces on Google Groups. If you have a Google Account, you can just go there and subscribe and post from your browser, or simply browse the archives.
This is where all the development-related topics are discussed. Bigger code-changes affecting all Pod-Administrators (and where some action is required) will also be announced here.
Here you can talk about and ask for pretty much anything involving Diaspora*, including conceptual discussions about feature requests
Many people might not want to register with Google just to use a mailing list, so here is how to do it like it’s 1999.
Joining a mailing list
You need to “subscribe” to a mailing list in order to be able to reply on topics. If you subscribe on a mailing list, you always get a mail when a new topic or reply on a topic was created, so it’d be a good idea to set some filters or use a separate email address.
To subscribe to the “diaspora-discuss” mailing list, send a mail with whatever content to firstname.lastname@example.org. You’ll get a mail from Google Groups on which you have to reply in order to verify your subscription.
Create new topics/reply to topics
- To create a new topic in “diaspora-discuss”, send a mail to email@example.com, subject as topic title, content as topic’s first post’s content.
- To reply to a topic, reply to one of those mail-notifications you get when you are subscribed to the mailing list. Be sure to “reply to list” and not to the sender.