- Memory: 1.5 GB
- Swap: 1 GB
- CPU: decent multicore
- Storage: The amount of hard disk space required largely depends on how many images you expect your users to upload.
It is possible to run a pod on a Raspberry Pi >= 2. However, this will be very slow and is not recommended for multi-user pods.
Over the course of this manual, you will install the following software if not already installed.
- Build tools - for compiling source packages
- Ruby - the Ruby programming language
- RubyGems - package manager for Ruby code libraries (like CPAN for Perl or PEAR for PHP)
- Bundler - gem management tool for Ruby projects
- MySQL or MariaDB or PostgreSQL - backend storage engine
- OpenSSL - encryption library.
- libcurl - multiprotocol file transfer library WARNING: Due to sidekiq longjmp error, you need at least curl 7.32
- ImageMagick - image processing library
- Git - version control system
- Redis - persistent key-value store
Please note that running diaspora* together with other applications that use Redis on the same machine can be dangerous. Only do that if you absolutely know what you are doing, and if you know how to change the Redis database for all of the applications.