diaspora* (and some alternate spellings) is a registered trademark to avoid abuse by using the name for similar projects that may create confusion. The exact terms cannot be provided here since this is a complex legal topic, gut here are some guidelines.
You are free to use the diaspora* logo and its wordmarks...
- ... if you are talking in a describing the software. That may be, for example, in your pods assets ("this is based on diaspora*"), in your terms of service, etc.
- ... in any publication related to the project. This can, for example, be a blog article, a social media post, a YouTube video, etc.
- ... for creating and publishing marketing materials for promoting the project or your instance, as long as you do not benefit financially in any way.
In any case, you are not allowed to use the logo and the wordmark for...
- ... "anything that involves money", with the exclusion of donation campaigns raised for running and maintaining a pod. This includes the public sale of tshirts or stickers (you are, however, fine if you want to print some stickers for yourself). If you want to raise donations for the project, please get in touch with the project team first.
- ... for any distributed social network project that is not based on our software. If you fork diaspora* into a different project, you are fine to do so (in respect with the license terms), but you have to choose a different name.
If in doubt, please write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you figure things out.