Meetings/20140812

From diaspora* project wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Time and date

Tuesday 12 August 2014, 6.30 PM UTC. #diaspora-meeting @ FreeNode.

Topics to discuss

Next release

Should we release during the next month?

Community birthday

The 27th of August, the community will have run the project for 2 years. Do we want to do something to celebrate that? (Release: see above, blogpost, ask for community artwork... ?)

Hosting of diasporafoundation.org

  • Who should appear in the whois information for diasporafoundation.org?
  • Move away from Dreamhost to a platform which supports multiple people having root-access to the domain?

Guidelines for adding agenda items

Do we need guidelines for adding items to this meeting agenda?

  • Should only people who have 'voice' in the meeting be able to add agenda items?
  • Should the agenda be restricted to certain sorts of topics (i.e. the types of item that can be usefully discussed in these meetings)?

How to warn about known bugs in develop

Sometimes the develop branch contains bug we are aware of (currently the profile photo upload is broken, months ago it was the mentions in the publisher). How can we warn the podmins using the develop branch that there are these bugs, so they don't update their pod?

Docker images

Howto, usage, concept, interest : https://github.com/Chocobozzz/Diaspora-Docker/wiki/How-To

Registry : https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/chocobozzz/diaspora-docker/

User Experience discussions

Given the controversy in tickets like #4657 we should talk about how (or maybe even IF) we want to achieve a consistent UX/UI which is usable for everyone. This point may get extended to a general discussion about the projects goals.

What did we decide?

Next release

next-major is not ready. We triaged the issues for the next-minor milestone, there are only 4 left including 2 pull requests. If we close everything before the next meeting, we will do a minor release, otherwise, we will discuss about it in the next meeting

Community birthday

We're going to write a blog post for the 2nd birthday of diaspora* as a community project. We'll try to summarize a little bit the history of the project. The blog post will be promoted by diaspora HQ on diaspora*, and we will ask for fan art to illustrate it.

We will have a look at gource to see if we want to make a video like this one. Eventually, we could write a press release.

Hosting of diasporafoundation.org

Postponed because DenSchub is not here.

Guidelines for adding agenda items

We don't want to limit what or who can add items on the meetings agenda. If something looks inappropriate, we will just skip it during the meeting.

How to warn about known bugs in develop

Podmins running the develop branch are persons close to the project, they should check github carefully and be aware of the existing issues. But we need to be thoughtful and create issues we are aware of.

Docker images

Core members can't maintain every deployment methods, but we agree that it could be nice to have, so it is possible to add a link to the repository of the deployment method on the Installation page.

User Experience discussions

discourse is nice to discuss about the new UX/UI of diaspora*, we can make decision there.

IRC Logs

<goobs> Do you want to kick off, flaburgan?
<flaburgan> sure
<flaburgan> the first item is, as always, do we want to release this month?
<jhass> with broken photo upload?
<flaburgan> I'd like to link it to the second item: we have the birthday of our community this month
<goobs> I was wondering whether we need this item (as it's based on milestones not dates).
<flaburgan> last year we released a version
<jaywink> I'd rather releases happen when there is something cool to release - not because some days pass since something ;)
<jaywink> but still, it would be nice to release as soon as the next minor is ready
<flaburgan> here is the next minor tasks list
<flaburgan> https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pulls?q=is%3Apr+milestone%3Anext-minor+is%3Aopen
<goobs> We'd have to code freeze tomorrow to get two weeks of testing before 27 Aug. Let's not release a version when it's not ready just for an anniversary (that would be bad publicity).
<jaywink> well 5005 is refactoring to fix an old bug - I'll just drop it from the milestone
<jaywink> 4978 seems mergable any time?
<flaburgan> jhass, I could fix the profile photo upload
<jaywink> can we drop 4947 from the next-minor?
<flaburgan> I would have done that if there was no PR open
<jaywink> 4928 is very important imho - I'd squeeze that in
<jaywink> flaburgan, is there an issue about the photo upload? can attach it to the milestone
<jhass> 4928 needs to be adopted I think, 4947 is not on the milestone here?
<jaywink> oh sorry, not 4947, 4952
<jhass> 5054 should be fixed too, it's very annoying
<flaburgan> jaywink, no, no issue, I just talk about it here https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/5039#issuecomment-48732481
<jaywink> we should prob have an issue for it to track it
<flaburgan> I'm gonna open one
<flaburgan> I'm a little bothered by https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/5047#issuecomment-47650255 too
<flaburgan> imo the actual behaviour is worst than before the PR
<goobs> It sounds as though we're not going to be ready to release in the next month.
<jaywink> prob not :) unless we drop all the remaining stuff and freeze now
* DeadSuperHero (~sean@c-50-141-255-118.hsd1.il.comcast.net) has joined
* jhass a donné la parole à DeadSuperHero
<goobs> Yo DeadSuperHero!
<DeadSuperHero> hey goobs
<flaburgan> DeadSuperHero, hey!
<flaburgan> Nice to see you!
<DeadSuperHero> Busy with work, but always willing to dip in and try to participate!
<DeadSuperHero> good to see you too flaburgan
<augier> Hi DeadSuperHero
<DeadSuperHero> hi augier
<goobs> Cool, we're just deciding on what needs to happen before next release is ready.
<jaywink> if no objections dropping https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/4952 from next-minor?
<jaywink> hey sean!
<augier> @flaburgan : I think 5047 can be easily solved with bootsrap
<goobs> Fine to drop 4952 as it's not a breaking thing.
<flaburgan> jaywink, here you go https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/5115
<jaywink> what about https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/5024 - no one is working on it I think and it doesn't seem very clear
<jaywink> tnx
<jhass> it's weird that it only happens for the poll output and only for some pods
<flaburgan> augier, 5047 is about both headers, the blueprint and the bootstrap one
<jhass> jaywink: you set the milestone, you're free to remove it
<jaywink> and https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/pull/4928 maybe someone will adopt it or hpetru might activate - I'll ask him
<jaywink> ok
<jaywink> so 4 issues now left - I'm sure we can finish these for a release after the next meeting?
<flaburgan> augier, and I agree it is easy to fix, but I would like the one who created it to do it :p
<goobs> 5024 looks as though it needs more investigation. Perhaps a 'needs more info' label?
<flaburgan> let's see if we can make these pull requests merged, if so, a minor release would be nice
<flaburgan> if not then we will ask the question again on the next meeting
<flaburgan> everybody's fine with that?
<goobs> Could do a DHQ post to promote the issues in this milestone.
<flaburgan> goobs, well https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/5115 should be solved by the port to bootstrap
<flaburgan> goobs, let's talk about the promotion in the bugmash discussion in loomio
<goobs> So the next-minor shouldn't be released until that port is completed? I thought you meant to do a bug fix for the blueprint view now to get it fixed asap.
<goobs> Otherwise the port issue should be added to next-minor.
<flaburgan> goobs, well, if this becomes the only blocker for the release
<flaburgan> I will do a patch
<flaburgan> if the other issues are not ready anyway, then I would prefer to see this bug fixed by the port
<jaywink> yay :)
<flaburgan> :)
<flaburgan> summarize: we triaged the issues for the next-minor milestone, there are only 4 left including 2 PRs. If we close everything before the next meeting, we will do a minor release, else, we will discuss about it in the next meeting
<flaburgan> next item: birthday of the community
<flaburgan> what do we want to do about that?
<flaburgan> at least a post with diaspora HQ
<flaburgan> do we want to do a blogpost?
<DeadSuperHero> Sure, no reason not to.
<goobs> Blog post would be good, if we have enough to talk about.
<DeadSuperHero> It might be cool just to show screenshots of the different versions of Diaspora and how far it has come
<flaburgan> DeadSuperHero, that would be the perfect time to release your article about the diaspora* story, what do you think?
<jaywink> blog post would be great
<DeadSuperHero> Still figuring that out, flaburgan
<flaburgan> DeadSuperHero, :p
<flaburgan> time, we need you!
<goobs> As long as you're not dishing up the dirt, Sean!
<jaywink> goobs, no need to ask if you want to write up something ;)
<goobs> :)
<DeadSuperHero> It's a long post and there's a lot to say. Debating on splitting into multiple posts.
<DeadSuperHero> But no dirt. :)
<goobs> I'm not sure I'm going to be able to put energy into that in next 3 weeks, sorry.
<flaburgan> so maybe something smaller for the birthday? But still about the history of the project
<goobs> Definitely a little summary of the past year would be fantastic.
<jaywink> any other people who can write we could ask for a post?
<flaburgan> jaywink, I could do that but need people to help me about english
<goobs> I'll be happy to edit your English.
<flaburgan> okay, I'll write it in the pad, next to the mobile blogpost I have to finish
<flaburgan> and which will be posted later :p
<goobs> So, Fla will draft a blog post, and we can make a DHQ post from that.
<goobs> Thanks Fla.
<flaburgan> you're welcome
<flaburgan> I was thinking about asking to the community if they could create some art to illustrate it
<goobs> Sure, always good to involve the community.
<jaywink> blog posts without a picture are kinda dull - even an old picture if no new ones!
<flaburgan> jaywink, +!
<flaburgan> +1
<flaburgan> so I'll do that.
<jaywink> awesome :)
<flaburgan> and I have another point to talk about
<flaburgan> I already talked about it but
<goobs> Feel free to run that text by me also for the English if you'd like to.
<flaburgan> ;)
<flaburgan> I will have yet another Firefox OS phone
<flaburgan> a ZTE Open C with Firefox OS 1.3
<flaburgan> I already have this phone, so I was thinking about offering it to someone if he does a big contribution to...
<flaburgan> diaspora*! 
<augier> Why not make an animation with gource ?
<augier> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQKYFCOxDn8
<flaburgan> and the big issue I have in mind is the refactor of the federation: I will have yet another Firefox OS phone
<flaburgan> wow
<flaburgan> https://github.com/diaspora/diaspora/issues/5114
<flaburgan> sorry
<DeadSuperHero> Yes, I am particularly interested in that.
<DeadSuperHero> It would be a really big stepping stone to figure out what we want to do with federation going forward, especially as there are other decentralized social projects that are interested in interoperability.
<flaburgan> DeadSuperHero, yeah, it's definitely the part of diaspora* which needs to be improved
<DeadSuperHero> It would be really cool if we could get it into the next major release.
<flaburgan> so I had in mind that I could post the deal (with my personal account)
<flaburgan> DeadSuperHero, the work is not even started, I don't think it will come that soon
<flaburgan> but who knows
<DeadSuperHero> I understand that.
<goobs> Fla, I think anything you want to do personally is fine (and that's very generous of you).
<flaburgan> do you think that I should / could link this idea with the birthday of d* community?
<flaburgan> or it's just not related?
<goobs> I think keep it separate.
<goobs> I mean you could say 'As a birthday celebration for diaspora*, I want to make this offer', but not make it part of official birthday announcments.
<goobs> Does that sound OK?
<flaburgan> yeah
<flaburgan> I was thinking it was weird presenting it to you :p
<jaywink> awesome flaburgan - we can push it via all the social channels to get some interest
<flaburgan> so, birthday summarize: blogpost including an history of the project, fanart and post from dhq to the blogpost
<jaywink> but I guess the hard part is for you to figure out the rules of the "competition"
<flaburgan> jaywink, the one who will see his pull request merged will have the phone :p
<goobs> Nah, just give it to me! ;)
<flaburgan> I don't know if that many people will try to do the job
<jaywink> yeah I think that would be a positive problem :)
<flaburgan> hm, last point about the birthday, do we want to alert press like last year?
<DeadSuperHero> I don't see not.
<augier> Woudn't be cool to join a video of the evolution of the source code made with gource to the blogpost for the birthday ?
<DeadSuperHero> It would at least be nice to shoot a message to some of those journalists that were like "Diaspora is totally dead!"
<flaburgan> augier, yeah gource looks nice
<augier> I can give a try
<flaburgan> augier, that would be nice
<flaburgan> also, you know what you have to do if you want a FFOS phone ;)
<goobs> Let's see if we can come up with a decent press release, and if so, release it.
<flaburgan> the next item is about hosting of diasporafoundation
<flaburgan> but offSchub is not here
<flaburgan> so I think we should postpone this one
<augier> flaburgan : I don't do it for money ! (unles...)
<goobs> Agreed, we need DenSchub.
<goobs> I need to leave in 20 minutes. Are there items we can discuss quickly?
<flaburgan> augier, yeah I know
<flaburgan> don't see that as a salary but as a present to thank you ;)
<flaburgan> well, it's not yours yet!
<augier> not yet... xD
<flaburgan> goobs, next is Guidelines for adding agenda items
<flaburgan> who added this one?
<goobs> OK, that was mine. Just: do we need any? (Types of items, and who can add them.)
<jhass> Don't think so
<flaburgan> well, we didn't really have any problem until now
<jhass> avoid bureaucracy if you don't have a problem to solve
<flaburgan> so I'm not sure we need to block anything
<flaburgan> jhass, +1
<goobs> A few months ago, someone started adding items I didn't think were for this meeting.
<goobs> I didn't want to just delete them, so thought worth discussing.
<flaburgan> I think the wiki can be kept like that
<jhass> taking an item out during the meeting takes less than a minute if everybody agrees
<flaburgan> if the item seems useless, we will skip it during the meeting
<goobs> That sounds fine to me if everyone agrees. Just wanted to raise it.
<flaburgan> yep, at least it's clear now :)
<flaburgan> so, next item is How to warn about known bugs in develop
<DeadSuperHero> what are the nature of the known bugs we have in develop?
<jhass> Do we need to?
<DeadSuperHero> Any show stoppers?
<flaburgan> well, dev pods can be broken
<jhass> podmins running develop should be able to look at the issues list and use the milestone filter. If they're not capable of that they shouldn't run develop
<jhass> simple as that
<flaburgan> but if we know that something is, like the profile photo upload actually, podmins running dev pod will probably want to wait that this is fixed
<goobs> If we need to, could create a 'develop' aspect in the DHQ account containing just podmins running develop, and notify them from there.
<flaburgan> jhass, agree, but this bug is here for a month and I only created an issue about it today
<goobs> But generally I agree with jhass on this.
<jhass> then create more issues
<flaburgan> so we should at least create the issues
<flaburgan> jhass, okay
<jhass> then do that
<flaburgan> do you think we need a label for the develop branch?
<jhass> no
<jhass> we have one, it's called "regression" and "next-*"
<jaywink> agree with jhass
<flaburgan> okay
<flaburgan> so next item
<flaburgan> Docker images
<flaburgan> in general
<flaburgan> there is more and more technology to help deployment of applications
<flaburgan> do we want to officially support this can of installation?
<goobs> Looks as though someone has just uploaded a link to their repo to the agenda.
<flaburgan> s/can/kind
<flaburgan> goobs, yeah ^^
<flaburgan> I talked about the one who did that so I know he just wanted to tell us what he did
<flaburgan> and that we are free to test it and promote it if we want
<jaywink> got to go guys, sorry! :) talk laterz...
<flaburgan> he could have explain that but I guess he is not speaking english very well
* jaywink a quitté (Quit: Leaving)
<goobs> I have no opinion on this one. Could we discuss UX first as I need to leave soon?
<jhass> let's make it quick: no core members are going to maintain your deployment methods in the official org. Feel free to edit wiki.dfo.org/Installation and redirect to your deployment method though
<jhass> that you maintain
<jhass> that's how it works for OpenShift and that cloud image thingy I forget the name right now
<jhass> and it works well
<jhass> no need to make every new hip thing you find on the internet "official"
<jhass> I could add a dozen to such a list by now
<jhass> okay, next item
<goobs> And I guess we shouldn't officialy promote something that hasn't been properly tested by core team members (to address Fla's other question).
<goobs> Next item OK with you Fla?
<flaburgan> yeah
<goobs> The UX item started by DenSchub looks to me like the sort of thing working groups are good for.
<goobs> Co-ordinating an effort across a wide scope to get consistency of approach.
<jhass> agenda item proposer is not here, next
<jhass> you're guys are too slow
<jhass> -'re
<goobs> jhass, :P
<goobs> There's a proposal to start such a group in Loomio, https://discourse.diasporafoundation.org/t/create-a-ui-task-force/358
<jhass> great, so we have a place to discuss it
<goobs> So perhaps the UX guys will get together there.
<jhass> exactly
<flaburgan> jhass, yeah sorry, my roommate was talking to me
<goobs> And we can discuss here if necessary at a later date.
<flaburgan> I see no decision to make on this item so we will discuss on loomio first
<goobs> OK, next item: how to achieve world peace… ;)
<goobs> I've got to go, sorry chaps, and thanks for the meeting.
<jhass> bye
<flaburgan> bye ;)
<augier> Bye
<flaburgan> I was not here on the docker point: I think this can be very useful to help set up a dev env, we should probably have a deeper look on that
<goobs> bye

Other meetings